Thursday 5 March 2015

Retail Recklessness

Last week a local charity shop was offering 5 paperbacks for £1 and whilst I have plenty of reading material, including several boxes that Mr FF has stored in the loft, I couldn't resist a handful.
When I got home and had a good look through my selection I did realise that I already had one of the books on my shelf.  Anyway I made some good progress, enjoyed reading a couple and returned them and the duplicate to the charity shop.  I then embarked on another which seemed rather familiar and when after a couple of chapters I checked my book of books read it was on the list from several years ago. Fortunately I started this system of recording years ago because quite honestly as soon as a book is finished most of it just disappears from my memory, including the title obviously.
Then the lovely people at Kemps were offering Red Heart sock yarn in red or charcoal at just 99p for 100 g and some how 9 balls quickly arrived at the penthouse.  This perhaps isn't quite as bad as it seems because I have signed up for a Made in Yorkshire craft fair at the local primary school at the end of the month.  I'm not sure how this will turn out, the craft fairs I have been to in the town, at a church and the community centre, have been dreadful.  Nothing I would ever want to buy, knitters offering neon acrylic baby clothes for about £2 each and an almost unpleasant atmosphere.  The school fair will have various activities for Easter, egg painting,  a cafe etc not unlike the fairs I used to attend in Scotland so I'm feeling fairly hopeful.  Besides, no one will know me, if I am an abject failure at least I shall have tried (to get rid of the rather large bag of finished items that is in the spare bedroom and which to I keep adding).

6 comments:

  1. I do the same thing with books. I've even, unknowingly at the time, bought back the copies I've actually donated. But, yes, you have to buy them at that bargain price. It's the law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said "No more sock yarn" about a year ago, as I have a dozen or more balls to knit up. I got a bird bath for the garden, instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it's not just me that forgets books as soon as they are finished. If I pass a book on to Malcolm and he doesn't read it until several weeks later, he has to remind me what it's about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forget books as well and have several times bought new ones only to recognise them after several chapters. Reading on a Kindle is even worse, instant oblivion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was tempted by the Kemp's offer too, but didn't succumb as I had not seen this yarn before. It looks rather nice in the close up of your sock! I might have to see if they still have some. It's a bargain! Ros

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crikey, that is some bargain yarn! I shall be interested to hear how you like it, if you've managed to get any knitting done in between all the reading!

    ReplyDelete